Sean King

My photo
San Juan, Puerto Rico, United States

Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Work of Genius

So, I watched the Olympic opening ceremonies last night, and it was nothing short of spectacular: The vibarant colors, the fantastic lighting, the special effects, and the near-perfect coordination of some 15,000 performers all combined to create a spectacle like I've never seen before. And apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so. Ron Judd with the Seattle Times writes:

The ceremony, in full-on HD and hi-fi sound, was a visual triumph on television. Having seen a lot of these, I can say that nothing has equalled it in presence, precision, and sheer force of humanity. Friends on the scene in the Birds Nest -- after rehydrating from the sweat bath that was the stadium -- agree with that assessment. It was stunning.

"When it comes to opening ceremonies," Bob Costas said, "retire the trophy." And he's right.


I must agree. Kudos to the hosts and organizers for a job very well done.