Sean King

My photo
San Juan, Puerto Rico, United States

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Nassim Taleb says:

Sue the Nobel committee! In particular, he's not a fan of so-called "modern portfolio theory", nor it's originators, nor especially the Nobel committee that gave it legitimacy:

Taleb singled out the Nobel award to Harry Markowitz, Merton Miller and William Sharpe in 1990 for their work on portfolio theory and asset-pricing models.

“People are using Sharpe theory that vastly underestimates the risks they’re taking and overexposes them to equities,” Taleb said. “I’m not blaming them for coming up with the idea, but I’m blaming the Nobel for giving them legitimacy. No one would have taken Markowitz seriously without the Nobel stamp.”




Taleb is positively brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed his best-selling book, The Black Swan, or at least the parts that I could understand.

No comments: