Sean King

My photo
San Juan, Puerto Rico, United States

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sunset Over the Potomac



I'm attending a conference this week at the brand new Gaylord National resort in National Harbor, Maryland. The above is a view of last night's sunset from our room. Lovely!

The resort is set on a beautiful piece of land overlooking the Potomac river. I guess I didn't realize, or else I had forgotten, just how BIG the Potomac is.

I've stayed at two other Gaylord resorts over the years (the Opryland and the Gaylord Texan), and while I always enjoy them, I'm always mystified at just how COLD they keep all of them. I just don't get it. The entire building must be 62 to 65 degrees. It's so cold that, if you don't wear socks, your feet turn into ice cubes. And, it's been like this at all of the Gaylord resorts I've visited.

The Gaylords are known for their beautiful indoor gardens which are maintained under enormous glass atriums (visible in the picture above). One would think that the hotel would want to make strolling through the gardens in shorts or a sundress a pleasurable experience, but no such luck. If you want to be comfortable, plan on wearing long pants, socks, and maybe even a coat.

In a building this size, the resort could save a fortune on their energy bill by turning the thermostat up a little, and their guests would certainly be more comfortable. But, they seem to have no interest. In the past, we've even complained to management about the temperature, but to no avail.

Oh well. At least we have the view.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks beautiful!

Your Sister